1) Frued of the Flies
2) Man of 1000 Faces
Psychology tells us that we all wear masks. This is literally true of Jack in chapter 4.
What is a mask? What does it do for us? How would we be different if we wore no masks at all? ...
This project has four parts.
1) Read and discuss the articles linked above.
2) In a group of two, write a description of Jack’s mask and how it changes him and his relationship with the people around him.
3) Use 30 minutes to complete your own masks (2-dimensionally). The masks should symbolize what kind of “mask” you truly wear. Your mask must creatively utilize at least 3 symbols and demonstrate honest reflection.
4) Finally, write a 300+ word reflection on what kind of masks you wear. Your reflection must explain all symbols you have utilized with your mask and analyze why you feel the need to wear this mask on a daily basis. Finally, briefly discuss what the use of masks has to do with the idea of power in 2-3 sentences.
This is a graded formative task x 2 (one for the mask and one for the analysis). The Analysis should be written or printed and pasted to the back of your masks and they should be submitted together on the due date. To earn a “4” for both, I am looking for:
1. Honest, reflective, and convincing your mask and reflection are.
2. How effective and appropriate is the choice of register and style is (think: reflective diary).
3. How effectively and appropriately you utilize and analyze symbols in your mask and reflection.